Thursday 5 March 2015

More Bee family - Serena and Saskia

Mrs Bee is called Serena. She is wearing The 1930's retro blouse and box pleat skirt both of which featured on last years Great British Sewing Bee and the patterns and instruction are given in Sew Your Own Wardrobe
The box pleat skirt was quite straight forward although I think if I made one again I would make the pleats deeper. I used a piece of crisp cotton fabric that was given to me. I think it may have been hand dyed, as the colour isn't regular.
I really loved the retro blouse when I saw it on the programme but it was extremely difficult to make, especially at this scale. Sewing with black fabric and black thread in the dull winter light made it difficult to see my stitching. I made it too wide and tried to remedy it by extra gathering, the collar doesn't fit well and overall it is too short. I think May and Patrick would have plenty to say about this effort!
Her daughter is called Saskia. She is wearing a simple woven T shirt trimmed with bias binding to match the skirt. The skirt is made from the yoke skirt from Sew Your Own Wardrobe. This was also difficult and I cut out and re-stitched the yoke 4 times. Even then the piping on the front yoke doesn't exactly meet up with the back. Oh dear, what would May and Patrick say! Her flip over boots are lined with the same fabric as her skirt and I used a pattern purchased from Pixie Faire website.
Flip-over boots

No comments:

Post a Comment