Sunday 8 March 2015

Great British Sewing Bee -week 1, challenge 3.

The third challenge was to make a summer dress using a print fabric. I have lots of dress patterns but they are all intended for little girl dolls and were not suitable for an adult. I took another look at the Sewing Bee but wasn't all that keen on any of the dresses made. I also noted that the hardest thing for the contestants was matching up a centre seam. So I decided to make my own pattern with no centre seam. I made the bodice pattern by pinning kitchen paper towel to the doll and drawing in the neckline arm holes and darts. The skirt was cut on the cross and is almost a circle.

Serena wears the summer dress.

Until I watched this programme I had no idea that an invisible zip was a special type of zip. I sent off for a cheap bundle of invisible zips and did lots of online research to find out how they should be inserted. I'm very pleased with the result of my first invisible zip. Not totally invisible, but getting there.
The neckline is faced and the arm holes finished with bias binding. I only had a limited amount of fabric - there was just enough to complete the dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment